Do you have a quality website for your business? Does it have the right features and characteristics that appeal to your target audience? If you currently don’t have a business website, do you have plans to have one created in the near future?
Websites play an important role in the success of any business. Whatever industry you’re in or whether you’re serving a local market or not, having a website that is well-designed and engaging will make your business more accessible to the public.
You see . . .
A website is essentially the digital counterpart of your company. While a building can represent your business in the real world, websites are the digital representation of your brand. And this is what will connect your business to your target consumers who are always online.
Additionally, your website is as also a digital storefront, a door that potential customers can use to enter your realm any time they want.
Now, what makes a website impressive? What makes it effective from a business standpoint? What key elements do you need to incorporate to make it more appealing and engaging?
The Key Characteristics of a Well-Designed and Engaging Website
A website that attracts and engages its target audience effectively has five (5) essential features.
- The look of the website.
How the website, especially the homepage, looks to the visitor is crucial. You know the saying “you can’t judge a book by its cover”? Well, when it comes to websites, people are going to judge your website by the way your homepage (or landing page) looks upon initial viewing. So what qualities should the website have to make it more attractive and professional-looking?
- Proper use of colors – Web pages that are too colorful can either be attractive or distracting to the visitor. If it’s the latter, then there’s a good chance you’ll lose that potential customer forever.
- Proper placement of text – If you’re trying to share a message or disseminate information through text, then you better make sure that people can easily read it.
- Quality graphics and images – The quality of the images and the graphics that you place on your web pages are also crucial to its appeal and engagement factor. Images should be in good quality and relevant to the rest of the content and to the audience you’re trying to engage.
- The simple design – In the world of website design and development, there is elegance in simplicity. An overly sophisticated design will only confuse or irritate visitors to the website.
- The quality of the content.
Why do people visit websites? The short answer is they’re there to gather information, get entertained, or basically to consume content. If you want visitors to stay or keep them coming back, then you need to provide them with quality content. But how do you ensure top quality content in your website?
Your content should be:
- Short and precise
- Relevant and engaging to your target consumers
- Appealing to their humanity and emotions
- Made by an experienced professional
- The functionality of the website.
Every component and every aspect of your website design should have a specific function and purpose that is relevant to the user. They should help improve user experience and not just serve as useless ornaments on your pages. Error pages and broken links should be avoided and fixed immediately, as these will only infuriate visitors and cause them to leave your site.
- The usability of the website.
Usability is an attribute that is often overlooked and forgotten, especially when it pertains to website design. Despite what you might think, a website’s existence should have a purpose. And it should be effective in fulfilling that purpose.
It should be easy to comprehend, navigate through, and responsive to the various platforms and devices that people use nowadays.
- The SEO and mobile optimization.
When designing a website from the ground up, optimizing it for mobile and search engine is always a primary approach.
The quality of your website, its content, and all of the abovementioned qualities are meant to attract your target audience. But the SEO process is what will give your website visibility in the search engines, especially for local searches.